What Can Be Done?
- Update penalties for smuggling and illegal selling and set these at more appropriate levels than currently exist.
- Create a new offence for allowing illegal selling to take place on your premises.
- Direct substantial additional resources to detecting and preventing criminal activity related to illicit trade. In particular, to Customs & Excise and Gardai.
- A consumer awareness campaign to be undertaken by OTC to inform consumer of consequences of buying illegal cigarettes.
- Tobacco excise policy and decisions should take into account the displacement of sales from the legitimate retail chain to illegal channels.
- An interdepartmental Committee To Combat Illicit Trade of Cigarettes should be established – Department of Health and Children, Department of Justice, Department of Finance, and the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.